Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Someone Died Last Night

Last night I was at home talking to my wife when a phone call from dispatch came to me. It is not unusual for dispatch to call me at any time, day or night, to inform me of significant events within the City. Last night they informed me that we were assisting Leawood at 151st and Nall on the City boundary between our two cities. We were helping them with a motorcycle fatality -- like so many other times I noted what had happened and moved on with my life. This morning I received a text message from my wife indicating that the young man killed in that accident was the husband of one of her friends and colleague at work. Suddenly the routine nature of this particular call took on a very poignant feel of tragedy. The point I am trying to make is that every day we hear of traffic accidents claiming that person or this person and we have become somewhat desensitized to the true nature of the loss. It is not until it happens to someone we know do we feel even the small part of the pain that goes with it. I think it is important that we realize that every victim is a mother or a father, someone’s son or daughter, husband or wife. Maybe if we could keep that in perspective we could all be just a little more attentive, a little more careful, a little less of a hurry, or maybe just a little more responsible. Just a thought. . .