On Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.,the Overland Park Police Department will host a “First Nighter” informational session regarding the department’s Explorer Post. Anyone interested in being a member of the Explorers is encouraged to attend this meeting at the Sanders Justice Center,12400 Foster. Parents are also encouraged to attend as the program will be discussed in its entirety.
The purpose of the Explorers is:
• To provide a program that educates young adults on the purpose, mission, and objectives of law enforcement.
• To provide an opportunity for service, practical experiences, competition, and recreation
• To help youth become better citizens through character development and patriotism.
Those who are interested in becoming an Explorer will be required to complete an application and pay a minimal fee. Overland Park residency is not required to participate. The meetings will be held on the first and third Thursdays of every month from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The following are the qualifications for an Explorer:
• Must be 14-20 years of age and graduated from 8th grade
• Have and maintained a 2.0 grade point average or higher
• Have no misdemeanor convictions (including alcohol) in the last year
• Have no felony convictions
• Have a current valid driver’s license
• Cannot be on diversion or probation
For additional information contact Sergeant Melanie Pierce at 913-535-3041.