Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thanks Dad, I Got To Vote Today

Like many of us I woke up this morning with the excitement of knowing that it was Election Day. Call me sentimental but I get a little gooey over the idea that we get to elect our leaders. Growing up in this country this seems like old hat. But we should never lose sight of the fact of what a miraculous gift this truly is. In many countries,true democracy is an absolute foreign concept. Some make a pretense out of holding fair elections but it is little more than going through the motions. In this country, in spite of all the contentious politics, the loud and sometimes offensive rhetoric and the push-pull of an imperfect system, our democracy is alive and well and our ability to cast our vote is a privilege. This privilege, however, did not come free. Men and women from the Revolutionary War to those serving today have sacrificed everything so people like you and I could live in a country free of fear for disagreeing with our Government and free to elect our own leaders. My own father, as well as my uncles and virtually everyone they knew, enlisted in the armed services during WWII. I would bet that many of you reading this have had relatives who did the same. Many of you may have served and to those of you who did, please accept my heartfelt gratitude. It has been a good day today because I started out by getting to vote and that is a big deal.