Friday, January 13, 2012

Lights, Camera, Action! A Follow Up To Breaking News

A short time ago I posted a blog about the search for the department’s new Public Information Officer or PIO. As I mentioned before, I had a handful of potential candidates. Each had to demonstrate their ability to interview well and communicate effectively in writing. They also had to be able to handle the move from police work, as most picture it to be, to working in an office atmosphere. Not many officers are willing to make this transition.

I must say I was impressed by the quality of all the applicants who applied. They were all excellent candidates and would have been competent and successful in the position. I would have been comfortable with any one of them representing the department. None the less, only one could be chosen.

I am pleased to announce I have selected Officer Gary Mason to fill this position. Officer Mason will assume on these duties effective January 17, 2012. He may be contacted at 913-327-6937 or gary.mason@opkansas.org.