Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Alert: Demolition Set for Quivira Rd & I-435 Interchange Bridges

Starting tomorrow at 9:00 am, work will begin to prepare for the demolition of the I-435 and Quivira Interchange bridges.

According to KDOT, All northbound lanes will be shifted to the southbound side of the road for bridge reconstruction work beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 29. (US-69 & I-435 Red Project) Project work is scheduled to be completed in early July 2012.

Expect to see major delays as Quivira Road to eastbound I-435 ramp will be closed beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 29. A marked detour will be provided during the ramp closure. Traffic will detour south on Quivira Road, then east on College Boulevard to northbound US-69, then back to eastbound I-435.

Advance message boards will alert drivers to the ramp closure. Drivers should expect delays and allow extra time for their commutes during the ramp closure. As well, drivers must use alternate routes during the duration of the ramp closure.

Weather permitting, beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 3, all eastbound and westbound lanes of I-435 from I-35 to US-69 will be closed to traffic, along with numerous ramp closures, for the demolition of two of the three Quivira Road over I-435 interchange bridges in Overland Park. The Quivira Road bridges will be demolished via implosion at approximately 10:00 p.m. that evening. The existing bridges will collapse onto a bed of dirt so as to cushion the fall onto the existing I-435 roadway. Crews will then spend the remainder of the overnight closure removing the imploded bridge debris and cleaning up the I-435 roadway. Construction for the new bridges will take place during the 2012 construction season.

Note: All lanes of Quivira Road over I-435 will be closed for a short time during the demolition of the bridges for approximately 40 minutes.

Planned improvements for the I-435 & US-69 Red Project will add auxiliary lanes to I-435 between US-69 and Quivira Road. These improvements will help address congestion at the I-435 and US-69 interchange. Updated daily traffic information for this project can be viewed online at: www.ksdot.org/kcmetro/laneclose.asp.

The Kansas Department of Transportation urges all motorists to be alert, obey the warning signs, and “Give ‘Em a Brake!” when approaching and driving through the project work zone. For more information on this improvement project, please contact Kimberly Qualls, Northeast Kansas Public Affairs Manager, at (785) 640-9340 or Howard Lubliner, Field Engineering Administrator, at (913) 764-0987.