Going back to the 1st of May, we have taken 52 reports regarding catalytic converter thefts. The majority of these have occurred in locations such as apartment complexes and commercial office parking lots.
There are some things you can do to reduce the possibility of being a victim of thefts in general. The first preventive thing is to park in well-lighted areas, or close to the front entrance to buildings. Also, be aware of any suspicious vehicles or people hanging out in parking lots.
Here are some additional steps for preventing catalytic converter theft:
- At shopping centers and other similar parking lots, park close the entrance of the building, or near the access road where there’s a lot of traffic.
- If you own or work at a business or factory, park within a fenced area that’s busy during the day and secured at night.
- Engrave your license plate number on the converter to make it traceable. This can act as a catalytic converter theft deterrent and help with local police investigations.
- Purchase a vehicle security system, and make sure it's set to trigger with the slightest motion.
- Visit a local muffler shop and have the converter secured to the vehicle’s frame with a couple of pieces of hardened steel welded to the frame.
- Check out the different types of catalytic converter theft deterrent systems at your local auto parts store or on the Internet.