Thursday, September 6, 2012

Installation of 9/11 Artifact Sparks Emotions and Memories

I was attending a meeting today at the Overland Park Fire Training Center and was fortunate to be on-site just as the 9/11 artifact was erected.

This 14-foot, 5,600 pound steel artifact came from the World Trade Center in New York. It will be part of a larger memorial in front of the building as a remembrance of the many lives lost on that tragic day in our nation’s history.

As I’ve mentioned in a previous blog, I remember clearly what I was doing on that day and the emotions that event invoked in me.

As I watched them hoist the artifact into its final resting spot, I once again felt that emotion rising in my chest. Mainly, I felt deep sadness for the victims, but there was also tremendous pride in the resiliency of this great country.

The tragedy that took place on that day affected each American in some way or another, and we will all bear the scars for the rest of our lives.

America has become stronger and more resilient since 9/11, and the lessons we’ve learned came at the sacrifice of many that we must never forget.

The dedication will take place the morning of September 11th, 2012 at the Overland Park Fire Training Center, located at 12401 Hemlock.

This entire project is being funded with private donations. To learn more about the memorial and the get involved in the final phase visit www.artsandrec-op.org and click on the 9/11 Memorial Informational video.