Monday, September 24, 2012

SCAM ALERT: Credit Union Text Message

This morning I was contacted by two adult members of my family who informed me of a text message they received over the weekend which they believe was a scam.


Each of them received a text from the “The Credit Union Alert Center” advising them that their “CARD number starting with xxxx has been DEACTIVATED. Please call 913-553-5359”.

When you contact the number listed in the text message, they will ask you for your 16-digit card number to verify. Luckily for those members of my family, they were smart enough to hang up the phone and not give out any information.

I wanted to find out if we’ve had any recent reports from our citizens regarding this scam, so I called one of our crime analysts. She just happened to have received the same text message this morning from the number I mentioned above. She also recognized it as a scam and deleted it.

While the people I’ve mentioned above were very cognizant that this was a scam, I’m worried about those in our community who may be more susceptible to this type of thing, especially the elderly who are easy targets for thieves.

Please be careful when dealing with anyone who calls, texts or emails you asking for personal information, especially those requesting financial data. Legitimate companies already know your account numbers and shouldn’t be asking you to give it to them verbatim for verification. They will, however, ask you for the last four digits and request your answers to some security questions.