Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Need a Copy of a Police Report

So the officer responded to your call for help, took the report, collected the evidence and then left.  Now what?  If you find yourself in a position where you need a copy of that report, you may be left wondering just how to get a copy.  A visit to the Police Records Department may need to be on your to do list.

There are several different categories of reports and the information that can be made available is dependent on what type of report it is and your part in that report.

If you filed an Information Report (not a criminal offense) you will be able to receive the first page of the report.  This is provided to those who make their request in person and the cost is $0.25.  The information covered on the first page will include the following information:

-         The date and time of the report

-         The date and time of the reported incident

-         The type of reported incident

-         The name, address and phone number of the reporting party

-         The name of the officer who took the report

If you filed a Criminal Investigation, only the front page of the report, with redacted information is available to the public.  Redacted means it will contain only limited information as allowed by the Kansas Open Records Act.  The exception to this is if the report is needed by the person facing pending criminal charges who may need the report for court purposes.  If you are facing criminal charges and need a copy of your report for City or Municipal charges, you will need to make that request in person and complete a discovery request.  This request form is provided by the records department.  If you are facing charges through the District Court, you will need to make your request through the District Attorney’s office.  Remember, the entire criminal investigation report is only available to the person facing the charges and those charges must be currently pending.  As a victim or other involved party in a criminal investigation, you will only receive the front page of the report (Public Record).

If you are the arrested party in a criminal investigation and you want the Arrest Report, you'll need to pay a fee of $3.00 and show a valid ID. This is only to the person who was arrest and must be picked up in person.

Accident reports are available on-line at  These are free of charge.  If you choose to respond to police records to get a copy printed out, there is a $2.00 fee.  The accident report will be just the report.  If you want to get any of the photographs or videos that may be associated to that accident report you will need to specifically request that, and there is a $10.85 charge for these items.

The records department can also provide, when requested, any video that may exist related to a traffic stop.  These videos may be reviewed by appointment, and if you decide you want to purchase a copy, this can be done for a fee of $27.12.

The records department is located at our Sanders Justice Center building at 12400 Foster.  They are open Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, and Friday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.