Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Hospitalizes Four Family Members

This morning around 7:30, a passerby noticed a teenaged male lying in the grass in front of a house in the 8000 block of W. 121st Terrace. The Good Samaritan stopped to check on the male and was told there were others inside the house who may be hurt or sick.

Both the Overland Park Fire and Police Departments responded located three other victims inside the house. All told, there were two adult females, two juvenile males, aged sixteen and nine.  All were taken to an area hospital with life threatening injuries as the result of high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning. One of the adults is currently listed in critical condition.

Investigators with the Fire Department quickly located a running vehicle in the garage with the door closed. The investigation has indicated this was nothing more than a tragic mistake, and certainly a good time to remind everyone about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here's a link to the press release from the Fire Department with more information:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88190397/News%20Release%20CO%20Medical%2011-6-13.pdf

Here's another link, courtesy of our OPFD, regarding Carbon Monoxide detectors:

http://www.opkansas.org/city-government/fire-department/fire-special-services-and-programs/carbon-monoxide-co-detectors-save-lives/