Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mercury Was Rising

Yesterday the Overland Park Fire and Police Departments responded to a hazardous material call in 9100 block of Riggs Lane before 9:30 A.M. The resident at that location told dispatchers that she was worried about some mercury that had spilled out of an antique grandfather clock and was now on their deck.

At first glance you wouldn't really think there would be that much mercury to worry about, but in this case it was more than enough to force the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to declare the apartment unsafe for occupancy.

Who knew that an antique grandfather clock could have as much as ten pounds of mercury stored in tubes used as counterweights.

The apartment and surrounding are will be cleaned to make it safe once again for occupancy.

According to the press release by the Overland park Fire Department -Mercury spills are not uncommon, but the amount of mercury involved in this incident is rare. The Overland Park Fire Department wants to remind residents that if they have mercury or unknown substances in need of disposal, they should contact their local hazardous waste disposal agency.

Here's the link to the entire press release released by the fire department yesterday:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88190397/News%20Release%20Mercury%20Spill%2011-11-13.pdf